TITLE: Senior Bookkeeper
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for preparation and administration of engagements as delegated. May serve as a liaison between the client and the Client Manager regarding bookkeeping matters.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Shareholder
SUPERVISION: Works under the supervision of Bookkeeping Supervisor.
1. Meets performance objectives as outlined in Employee Performance Goals & Objectives document, specific to employee.
- Time Budget
2. Manages workflow.
- Works independently and provides training for other staff as directed.
- Obtains source data from clients.
- Develops ability to supervise and prioritize simultaneous engagements, projects and deadlines.
- Reviews work for completeness, accuracy and technical issues.
- Is alert to and identifies client needs (areas needing improvement as well as additional services), during all phases of the engagement and reports needs to Bookkeeping Manager or Client Manager.
- Anticipates and resolves problems. Communicates with Bookkeeping Manager and/or Client Manager.
- Monitors deadlines for assigned client services and regulatory filings.
- Tracks time on client engagements and documents per the Firm’s policy.
- Finishes projects within specified budgeted time and completion schedule.
- Makes recommendations for refinement of engagement procedures to increase job efficiency and effectiveness.
3. Participates in continuing education and performance improvement.
- Seeks continuing educational opportunities, in partnership with supervisor, to meet Firm’s expectation of minimum 20 hours per year.
- Is active participant in Firm’s coaching process, and determines annual professional development goals.
- Participates in on-the-job staff training, and coaches or mentors staff as required.
- Provides input for staff performance improvement as appropriate.
- Possesses and demonstrates a clear understanding of the Firm’s organizational structure, the services it offers to clients, and its practices and policies relating to professional and administrative matters.
- Demonstrates compliance with Firm’s policies.
- Sound ability to research and develop technical knowledge, identify issues, and analyze data.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Positive attitude toward the Firm’s vision and goals, and adheres to the Firm’s core vision, mission and value statements.
- Willingness to represent the Firm at marketing events.
- Willingness to work increased hours during peak work cycles.
- Willingness to travel as required.
- Demonstrates sound knowledge of Microsoft operating and Firm application software.
- Proactively seeks technical information through industry journals and association publications. Shares information with staff as is appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Sound knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles.
- Ability to manage and maintain a general ledger.
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting data.
- Possesses a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge of federal and state payroll laws.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively interface with clients.
- Demonstrates understanding of the Firm’s profit structure and business model.
- Sound knowledge of technical matters and the Firm’s technical policies and procedures.
- Communicates clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees and supervisors.
- Demonstrates a cooperative and professional attitude.
- Performs with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates a propensity towards creative solutions.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the responsibility to guide their career path with support from supervisors and mentors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Certified Payroll Professional
- QuickBooks ProAdvisor
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift bulky client records, files and laptop (up to 20 lbs).
- Licensed to drive a vehicle (and availability of an insured vehicle for business use when needed with mileage reimbursement).
Nichols is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment, in accordance with the requirements of all applicable laws, including race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, disability, or medical condition.
Disclaimer: This job description can be modified at any time. Description assumes employee is proficient in all previous position competencies.